Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

I have arrived! It is official!



Back in November I submitted an entry to the 'Inspired by Art' challenge conducted by Stringing Magazine. The necklace was originally made in response to the September challenge by Art Bead Scene based on a painting by Wassily KandinskyKandinsky was a Russian-born artist, one of the first creators of pure abstraction in modern painting and is regarded as one of the originators of abstract painting.




Collection of Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Museum of Art, Utica, NY 56.42
But as I could not figure out 'Flickr' in time to meet the deadline it was not officially entered. Then came along the Stringing Magazine challenge and since I had a piece that was 'Inspired by Art' I decided to enter my necklace.



In January I received an email from Stringing Magazine telling me that my entry was selected as the Editors' Choice winner! Wow! How about that! I was honored, thrilled and excited to say the least and then I waited patiently for the issue to be published.  Yesterday, I received my Spring 2010 issue of the Stringing Magazine and there was my necklace on page 9!





















The focal piece of my necklace is a lampwork bead made by Mona at Monaslampwork. I chose Mona's bead because it contained pretty much the same colors used in the artwork by Kandinsky. To capture the splashes of color on the canvas, I used Mandarin Jasper rondelles, red Jasper rounds, black Onyx rings, Lapis Lazuli coins, faceted drops of Imperial Jasper, branches of black Coral and tiny Mookaite Jasper rounds. The clasp is a round black Onyx toggle.

Congratulations go out to Joy Masters (1st Place), and also to Angela Glascock and Alyce Shepardson, who tied for 2nd place.

If you would like to take part in similar challenges, the next one by Stringing Magazine is titled 'Night and Day' and the deadline for entries is March 1, 2010. So get your entries to them, I have already sent in mine.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone, Enjoy your day!



11 comments:

Dawn Doucette said...

That's so exciting! Congratulations Regina! I love that necklace! It's so wonderful to see your artwork in print!

Keep up the beautiful creations and have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
Dawn

Jen Judd said...

Yeah for you! It's a wonderful piece!!! I'm soooo looking forward to this luscious issue of Stringing!

Regina said...

Thank you Dawn & Jenny, it is exciting, glad you like the necklace.

Pearl and Pebble said...

Congrats on being published!!!!!Enjoy:)

Cindy said...

Congrats! I'm looking forward to this issue!
Cindy
www.sweetbeadstudio.com

Pretty Things said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You were always here, though - really! Now keep sending things in and ride the wave of happiness!

TesoriTrovati said...

How cool is that! I am so glad that you were able to share this piece with us in some form. Congratulations! I will be looking for my copy soon!
Enjoy the day! Erin

Lisa Crone said...

YAY!! CONGRATULATIONS! That is so wonderful!! Both the piece and the magazine exposure! Time to celebrate!!

Lucid Moon Studio said...

That's so cool...congrats! Your necklace is a very good representation of the painting, I see why it was chosen! Stringing is my FAVORITE bead magazine, and I loved this issue :)

Lisa

Juli Cannon said...

Congrats on the publication.

But the important part? That necklace is outstandingly gorgeous...and completely in tune with the painting.

You got skillz. Thanks for sharing them.

Juli Cannon said...

Congrats on the publication.

Now for the important part? That necklace is outstanding...and a wonderful representation of the painting.

You gots skillz. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails