Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Keeping My New Year's Resolutions... and taking a jewelry class!

Well, I think I am off to a good start, I signed up for a jewelry class. The class was held on January at the Manatee County Art Center, not too far away from where I live. I was shocked that it took me this many years to realize that I had access to some wonderful jewelry teachers and classes less than 30 minutes drive time away. I have to thank Lois Moon of Que Onda Q'town and her post about the class she took at the Florida Society of Goldsmiths, in Tallahassee, FL.

After reading about her post, I checked out the Society website and found that the ArtCenter Manatee, was a west coast chapter of the Society. Hooray! It did not take me long to pay them visit and sign up for a beginners weekend workshop.

The two-day workshop involved 12 hours of fun, so much fun that the six of us in class did not want to break for lunch. The workshop was an introduction to metal working techniques under the guidance of Wendy Thurlow. Check out some of her gorgeous work at her site Hammered by Wendy. She is a great teacher, and I plan on taking more classes with her in the Spring.

Now to show you what I made during the weekend workshop...


textured Sterling Silver Bangles...


stacked Sterling Silver Rings, one with a bezel set Lapis Lazuli cabochon...


coiled sterling silver textured rings


hammered copper disc earrings on a sterling silver earwire...

I am so proud of my little collection of jewelry! Can't wait for the next session of classes to get more experience under my belt. In the meantime, I have been checking out sales at jewelry stores to start my collection of tools for this new chapter in my jewelry making.






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Looks like fun.

Lori Anderson said...

These are great -- and I REALLY love that red necklace on the left!

elisabeth said...

Beautiful pieces - what great work!

Mary K. McGraw said...

What great classes you took and such wonderful items you made.

Azure Accessories said...

These are great Regina...you learned a great deal in your class!!! Good for you...

Now you will be addicted just like the rest of us... :~)
Cheers

Lois Moon said...

I love these...the stamping on the coiled rings is beautiful. I love the doming tools...I know just how you feel because I couldn't wait to get to my next class.

Rose said...

Lovely! Sounds like you had a blast! LOVE love love the bangles and rings.

Shel said...

Wow - those are so cool Regina! Looks like you not only learned alot, but had a ton of fun, too!

Cindy said...

What a great class....I'm not surprised the group didn't want to break for lunch, afterall, it looks like you learned some complex techniques (look at that ring!). You must have learned so many great skills...have you been working with them much since the class? Won't be long til the next round is here...I'd surely take classes with Wendy too if I could!

Christine said...

Your pieces are beautiful!! Thanks for telling me about this hidden gem - we visit the in-laws every summer in Sun City Center & I'll have to be sure to take a workshop the next time we go. I've found a similar place here in Columbus - the Columbus Cultural Arts Center - my jewelry teacher teaches at a private U & I pay a fraction of the cost of what her college students pay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails